Monday, August 28, 2017

Toby Hooper RIP



Toby Hooper died this weekend. He is infamous for making what I consider to be one of the most awful movie experiences I ever had - Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was 13 and to get my film projectionist license I had to show two movies at the Brandon University film festival. The movies picked for my night were The Night of the Living Dead and Texas Chainsaw. I was forever changed by both those movies but not in a good way.

Then I found out over at the Dork Review that he also directed one of the greatest videos of the Video Age - Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol. I freakin' loved that whole album though this song is from his first album with Generation X and became really popular after he hit the peak of his fame. So for this and this alone I cut Toby some slack for terrorizing me as a kid.

3 comments:

Rob R said...

Haha! Thanks for sharing your Tobe Hooper story. I always wanted to see Texas Chain Saw Massacre as a kid... but it was the one movie that my mom would NEVER allow me to rent. She insisted it was far too frightening for me. I don't think I actually saw it until I went away to college and IT FREAKED ME OUT FOR DAYS! I admit, my mom might've been right to keep it from me... :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was truly disgusting and horrific and still sticks with me like a recurring boil. My Mom didn't want me to see The Godfather because of the horses head in the bed. I got a thing about horses being hurt for any reason.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The same woman let my aunt, her sister to Carrie when I was about 11. What kind of parenting was that?