Monday, January 15, 2018

Damn I Loved This Book

 
Ever since I got online I have been looking for the name of this book. I remembered it was about a kid and it involved a donut store, an out of control donut maker and a diamond ring that falls into the batter so the store has a way to sell the ton of donuts they have to get rid of somehow. When people are told there is a prize (the ring) in one of them they can't sell the donuts fast enough. Of course everyone buys a bag of donuts to take their chance and the donut store makes a load of money. It was a very memorable story that I think of most times when I get a donut which is often. FINALLY I can track it down and see if I remember it correctly from my youth. I also just found this live action adaptation of the story. We must have seen this in class and that hammered the memory of the story into my brain. Homer Simpson was right. Donuts do make everything better.
 

 
Homer Price is the title character of a pair of children's books written by Robert McCloskey. Homer Price was published in 1943, and Centerburg Tales in 1951. Homer lives in Centerburg, Ohio. He is a mild-mannered boy who enjoys fixing radios, and who somehow gets involved in a series of outrageous incidents, such as tending an inexplicably unstoppable doughnut-making machine in his uncle's diner, or caring for mystery plants that turn out to be a giant form of allergy-inducing ragweed. He does odd jobs like raking leaves, and sweeping up the diner or the nearby barber shop. His main job is helping out in his father's business, a motor court, where Homer also resides.



2 comments:

Jordan said...

Homer Price! Yeah! What a masterpiece! All the Robert McCloskey books are good but this one’s the best. I could go on for hours…the “Super-Duper”; the Doughnut Machine (note the archaic spelling; they aren’t “Donuts”); the Homeric references I was too young to get; the skunk and the crooks; the wonderful drawings throughout.

There’s a sequel called Centerburg Tales…more of the same.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Like I said I looked FOREVER for this story but I called it the Donut Maker or Donut Machine. But it's great stuff. I so remmeber the little film.