Thursday, September 5, 2019

Sir Nicholas Winton - A Hero Of Our Times

 
LONDON — He was just a 29-year-old clerk at the London Stock Exchange when he faced the challenge of a lifetime.
 
Traveling with a friend to Czechoslovakia in 1938, as the drums of impending war echoed around Europe, Nicholas Winton was hit by a key realization.

The country was in danger and no one was saving its Jewish children.
 
Winton would almost single-handedly save more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, earning himself the label "Britain's Schindler." He died Wednesday at age 106 in a hospital near Maidenhead, his hometown west of London, his family said.
 
Winton arranged trains to carry children from Nazi-occupied Prague to Britain, battling bureaucracy at both ends and saving them from almost certain death. He then kept quiet about his exploits for a half-century.
 
 


I don't have the words to express how great I think Sir Nicholas Winton was. The fact that he never told anyone what he had done just shows how pure his heart and intentions were. He never thought it was a big deal. So incredibly brave and resourceful doing the best he could to save innocent lives. They don't create humans like this guy anymore. Until my death I will tell his story to whoever will listen to me tell it.

This clip always get me right in the tear ducts. I remember in 1988 when the world learned his story.

2 comments:

jester59388 said...

Bravo, Sir Winton! I am certain this is a great reward awaiting you!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I know, eh? And he didn't think it was so big a deal and never told anyone about the amazing thing he did nearly singlehandedly. 600+ kids that he saved. He save current generations of families.