Saturday, October 3, 2009

Paul Pope Does DUNE

My favorite science fiction book is DUNE by Frank Herbert. I love all the complicated histories and machinations of the characters as they try to control a resource (the SPICE) that exist on only one planet in the entire universe. Add to that an ancient desert tribe with a prophecy of the coming of a messiah and a young prince arriving from off world and you have one of the great stories in all of literature. Paul Pope is taking the 'Wednesday Comic' format and doing stand alone pages for his own Dune adaptation at his web site. I love his stuff. Very much like Mobieus if you are familiar with his work.


"It is said of Muad'dib that once when he saw a weed trying to grow between two rocks, he moved one of the rocks. Later, when the weed was seen to be flourishing, he covered it with the remaining rock. 'That was its fate,' he explained." --From The Commentaries Of M'Uad Dib (DUNE, Frank Herbert).

"I've always been struck by the taciturn Nietzschean aspects of M'uad Dib's character as a leader. One of Frank Herbert's points in DUNE was a warning-- beware of charismatic heroes. When entrusted with great power, they can do great damage to a civilization. Even a brief sweep of history can illustrate this point." - Paul Pope

http://pulphope.blogspot.com/2009/10/muad-dib.html

7 comments:

Sam G said...

That's cool. Loved his "Strange Adventures" in Wednesday comics. Glad to see he's doing this.

joe ackerman said...

very sweet.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You know your comics Sam.

Wings1295 said...

Might read the comic version, but I once tried to read the actually book and I just couldn't do it.

Don't hate me.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh sweet lord Wings. Any other little tidbits you been holding back? I didn't think I would ever survive the 'cat thing' and now this. Head...spinning. Why don't you tell me you hated the movie now or that you never saw the excellent adaptation SYFY did of the first three books in the series several years ago. Then take that arrow from my heart. (k...that is just GOOD writing)

Wings1295 said...

Oh um... Yeah, the movie was great! (that had Sting, right?)... and the SyFy Channel adaptation kept me riveted for ... hours!

Jay said...


M'Uad Dib!