Friday, October 9, 2009

Streets of Fire









These two songs from the movie Streets of Fire (1984) tell you all you need to know about this awesome film. Its a rock and roll fairy tale baby. Michael Pare has returned home to rescue his singer ex-girlfriend (Diane Lane who has NEVER been sexier) who has been kidnapped by a vicious street gang lead by a young William Dafoe at his creepiest. The soundtrack is outstanding with these two huge production numbers anchoring the beginning and the end of the movie. Everyone in the cast plays it straight up the middle and that is what makes it a cult classic. If you don't enjoy this great slice of the 80s then you are dead to me. We no longer have anything in common. My face actually hurts from smiling throughout the viewing. 'Ellen Aim and the Attackers' is a cool name for a band. The sets pieces borrow from the 1950s and create a totally unique world. Humor, music, drama, and violence. Tough guys fighting over a girl. It reminds me of the best of Broadway. Need I say more? (stop the second song at 4 min if you don't want to spoil the ending)

5 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Ah, you had to be there, my friend. The 80s was like nothing else. Cheap, glitzy - with big hair, suit jackets with the sleeves rolled up, and plenty of neon. Plenty of drugs sans AIDS. God, remember when Michael Paré was the air apparent? He came so very close. Eddie and the Cruisers rule. -- Mykal

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

'Eddie' was a classic. That final scene was great. Who of us didn't sit in the theatre when that movie ended and just sighed. One of the most satifying endings to a movie ever!

"Words and music...words and music"

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'll admit to never seeing this film but I shall seek it out on DVD. I do have an undying lust for Ms. Lane.

Wings1295 said...

Like Dr. Monkey, I haven't seen this obvious 80s gem. Will hit up Netflix and see what they have to say about it.

And yeah, Pare was SO CLOSE to being the big dog. What happened?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I am glad when I can point you towards a true classic that you have missed. I think the whole family will enjoy this one. The music is really good but its not a musical.