Monday, October 5, 2009

Zombieland


'Zombieland' begins in an America that has very few uninfected people left in it. Those that have survived did so by following certain rules like being fast and skinny, avoiding contact with others and doing the 'double tap' when shooting zombies to make sure that they are down (that is unless you want to become a 'human happy meal). Remember, these are not your Romero 'shuffling undead'. These are the fast ones like from '28 Days Later'. Personally I hate the fast ones most of all. Not very keen on running myself.

Lisa Mynx was reluctant to call these true zombies but would prefer to call them the 'infected'. I have to disagree. Anything chewing on me after chasing me down is a ZOMBIE. There are no subtle distinctions.

Jessie Eisenberg (Columbus) is a college student and loner who survived the original infection because he never really liked people. On his way to his parent's home he meets up with Woody Harrelson's Tallahassee who has survived by continually moving around. He is also in search of a Twinkie. It's a craving he is obsessed with.

Soon they meet two girls - Witchita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin). Its not long before all four of them are travelling together but not before the girls jack these boys for all their gear and vehicles - twice!


I think the filmmakers really found the comedy most films have missed in the 'zombie apocalypse' genre. I agree with their premise that the uninfected would become batshit insane. Like any survivor, I think I would enjoy coming up with new and creative ways to bash, smash, slash, or crash these fricken' monsters. I also liked the way the characters bicker with each other and bond into a family. It was hard for the girls to trust anyone except each other but soon warm up to the guys. The violence is over the top cool and funny like you would want it to be. Combined together, these elements create an enjoyable 82 minutes for zombie movie fans.

4 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm waiting with bated breath to see this one.

The Groovy Agent said...

Saw it. Loved it. Wanna see it again!

Lemmy Caution said...

Saw it over the weekend.....and it was damn good. The cameo is a big surprise and done hilariously well. A fast and fun flick for October!

Unknown said...

I want to see this. The tag line is great: Nut up or Shut up! lol