Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just When I Think Things Can't Get Any Worse


"Vulture is reporting that Mike Myers will take on the voice of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies character Pepé Le Pew in a live-action/CGI feature at Warner Bros. Pictures."

Has anyone been asking for this? I love Pepe but let's be honest - he is a sexual deviant, a predator, and a relentless stalker who needs to be surgically castrated so he doesn't offend anymore.

What possible storyline could they pursue? Pepe moves into the neighborhood and is required by law to introduce himself to his neighbors and tell them that he is on the sex offender registry?

Then maybe the filmmakers can have him meet some old cougar who freaks him out with her brusk forwardness so he reject her. In retaliation she turns him into his parole officer, claiming that he was 'sniffing her flower'. It all becomes one giant misunderstanding when the NBC TV network then shows up to film an episode of 'To Catch A Predator' and poor Pepe is caught up in a web of depravity.

Why can't these numnuts follow the PIXAR model and give me something fresh that I haven't seen before? Pepe, Yogi Bear, and all those old characters had their time. If you miss seeing them so much, buy the DVD collections of their old stuff and have at it. I don't need nor want more CGI abominations to stain the name of these great characters.

Yes, I know movie making is a speculative business that requires much investment up front with no guarantee of future profits. Of course they want to go with 'proven' concepts and characters rather than risk something that will not capture the public's imagination.

Can I let them in on a little secret. If you have pissed me off NOW, months or years before your movie comes out - you certainly will not see a dime of my cash when your little stink-fest premieres. Way to capture the 'buzz' boys and girls and good luck on that opening weekend.

10 comments:

D.I. Felipe González said...

Totally agree with you Cal.

M. D. Jackson said...

Hear, hear!

DrGoat said...

I agree. These are the toons I grew up with. Leave them the F alone.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Of course, the cougar could be an actual cougar. A cougar cougar©, since Pepé always winds up going after cats.

Fickle Cattle said...

Agreed. Except for liking Pepe. Never liked him. He was so weird. And Pixar rocks.

I am Fickle Cattle.

TS Hendrik said...

I sort of agree with you. However they've also been making a new batch of cartoons to put in front of movies like they used to. Which must commended.

However this news is like being smacked in the face with a soiled diaper.

Pepé is only good in small doses and never with Mike Myers. And the CGI cartoon characters thing must die now.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Oh, no. I actually never liked Pepe LePew, but this project is ill-advised on so many levels.

csmith2884 said...

Stink-fest too funny.

Kal said...

All I liked about Pepe cartoons was the way they made fun of the French.

T.S. - when I was in University government my one contribution was forcing the film distributor to make available their cartoon library to us when the university renewed the contract with them. So from the on the Sunday Night dollar movie night in the main libary auditorium included two cartoons with the show. The first two? - Rabbit of Seville/What's Opera Doc, personally chose and introduced by your's truly. Big hit with the crowd.

Ben Varkentine said...

Don't get me started. I want Myers' balls cut off so he can never, never reproduce.