Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cool And Underrated


I loved 'Unbreakable'. I loved the pace and the reveals. It's a gem that deserves more attention. Who can forget that great scene when he pushed the paper towards his son... I won't say anything more as not to spoil your experience. This is one you have to check out.



M. Night Shyamalan has taken some flack for his more recent output, but I still admire his work on the first few films that he directed. I remember seeing Unbreakable and the first thing that appeared on the screen was some text describing comic book collecting... I knew then that I was going to like the movie! I liked the slow, deliberate pace of the film and the real world angle it gave to the superhero genre. I don't think the film was a huge commercial success (at least in relation to The Sixth Sense) and that's too bad. Shyalaman has stated that he saw the story of David Dunn as a trilogy, and I would have loved to have seen another installment.

http://braveandboldlost.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

While I love to bash Shyamalan for his big failures, particularly "The Happening", I do love this movie. It's a shame that it went unnoticed in its time.

I think it got stuck between the over the top rubber and neon silliness of "Batman and Robin" in 1997 and the darker sleek tone of "X-Men" in 2000. Had it been released in say 2002, when comic book superhero movies were cropping up again and America was still recovering from the real life cataclysm of 9-11, its likely the film would have received more, if not better recognition. In many ways it was ahead of its time.

I'd argue the film has some incredible editing. No wait, I don't have to argue, I can show you:

http://vimeo.com/7408509

M. D. Jackson said...

And Samuel L Jackson Rocks in it!

DrGoat said...

The best movie he ever did.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The whole comic book collect, Mr Glass,The Poncho, The Ability to sense evil and the best part, when he slides the newspaper over to his son about his previous nights superheroic and mouths the words - "shhhh, don't tell your mother". The look on the kid's face when he finally KNOWS he was right about his father's powers. One of my favorite character arc in any movie. Willis has many great quirky characters like this. Love 12 Monkeys very much.

Sarah said...

Agreed to all above, PLUS it's got Bruce Willis!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

One of my favorite movies and the only movie i have really liked from this director.