Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Ides Of March (2011)






"I will do and say what I believe in. But I have to believe in the cause." - Ryan Gossling.

This is how the world should work. Days before the release of a movie I should be sent a screener so that I can review the work. I have a deep cover associate that funnels me these screeners because he/she also loves Selena as much as I do. God DAMN, I loves me the Internets. This film is among my recent gifts this season.

I like to think that my tastes are pretty mainstream. I just want to be told a good story. Nothing I hate more than a bad story or actors who don't seem to get that they are creating ART.

So you can imagine what a treat it was for me to watch 'Ides Of March' the latest political drama from the mind and imagination of the magnetic George Clooney. He never lets me down and this is one of his best.

The minutia of a campaign is the focus here and it's fascinating to view. I like to think that I am an expert on American politics and government and for an old progressive like me this was a breath of fresh air.

"Makes me proud to be an American even though I am not one." (My Dad's go-to line whenever he was confronted with American patriotism in movies or television).

The hot aides with their pencil skirts and winter boots are irresistible to me.

In a age of dumbasses running for office I bought everything that Clooney was selling here. The man knows how to make a political thriller.

Can I get some agreement that Clooney is "The Last Great Movie Star?" which is also the title of a post I am working on. That's right bitches, an actual piece of journalism and not some off the cuff, stream of consciousness reaction to the appearance of a butterfly in my room. It doesn't happen often so appreciate it when it occurs.

Any movie where you have Philip Seymour Hoffman going toe to toe with Paul Giamatti makes me make the 'SQUEEEEEE' sound.

Marisa Tomei is underused as usual.

Ryan Gosling continues his great work by more than holding his own in this group of fantastic actors. He's the real deal. He was once on the Mickey Mouse Club with Christina Aquilara and Britney Spears so to see him take this route is particularly gratifying for an old pop culture troll like myself.

Evan Rachel Wood is great as Molly, the ambitious assistant. The first conversation between Goslings character and her character is the like of which old married repeat for years and years. She is more than a match for him and their relationship is awesome to watch unfold. Wood's performance is sexy and smart. Like Emily Blunt in 'The Adjustment Bureau', she is the kind of girl that one takes a bullet for. Enuf said.

All the relationships and all the women in them are magnificent. And heartbreaking.

I consume these political movies like cherries in the summer but this one is special. It's a great script with actors at the top of their game. It's the reward movie fans get this time of year to compensate for all the crap we consumed in the previous 12 months. It almost makes me forget the pain that was

If you want to see a 'week in the life' of a campaign director at the highest levels of American politics you can't do worse than 'Ides of March'. It's hits all the hot button issues surrounding the process that elects the next leader of the free world - or at least get him close enough to taste the Oval Office.

When Gosling is made an offer to leave 'his guy' by Giamatti, the wheels really start to spin and that is where 'Ides of March' is particularly enjoyable. There is lots of political shorthand here and jargon that you might not follow but for those in the know this movie moves at the speed of anything on the 24 hr media. Credit Director George Clooney for the look of this film and tone of this film.

The language is as much a performer here as the actors on screen. It's a lean script that doesn't shortchange any of the numerous character arcs at play here.

Charlie Rose, Chris Mathews are splashed all over the TV screens and that ground the movie in a modern reality.

I am thankful that someone still makes movies like this.

BTW - it would really look crappy in 3D. If you see if for that reason alone then you are one of my people.

8/10

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm looking forward to this one! George Clooney is friggin' brilliant. And what a great cast he's assembled!

Anonymous said...

He truly is a movie star of the old school.