Tuesday, March 27, 2012

First Day Of The Rest Of My Life


I feel that confessing my shortcoming will cost me more followers (lost another one today) but I think I will need all the support I can get for this next stage of my life. I can't be afraid of losing friends for being honest.

Since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year I have done many things to change my life. I watched my diet a lot more than I ever did and cut most of the junk food like pop and chips from my life. I have totally gotten my blood sugar under control. In a year that allowed me to lose 35 pounds but it's not enough to make me happy. My genetics don't allow me to lose weight easily and I can be an emotional eater when I am alone.

I want to travel and maybe meet someone who will not instantly judge me by my appearance. I don't blame the ladies for wanting to be with a hunky guy and not a train wreck. It's biological. If I can get by the physical attraction hurdle, I know I have the personality to make someone really happy.

So I took the step and went for a consultation with the weight loss clinic in my town. This is a medically supervised program headed by one of the top guys in this field. His mentor is from Edmonton and is himself a world famous authority on weight loss. I feel like I have the best team I could possible find working with me. If these professionals can't help me then no one can.

One of the options is gastric bypass surgery which I want to avoid at all costs. I hoping that a few months on their pre-surgery program will give me the jump start I need. I am losing on average five pounds a month but I would like to double that figure. Every pound lost will make it easier for me to work out to the level that I currently am not able to perform.

I will not bore you with daily updates but for those who are interested you can read about my progress as I attack this problem head on.

Today - 301 lbs - down 4 pounds from last week.

13 comments:

DrGoat said...

You are doing great as far as I can see. Slow progress is the best. It lasts. Congratulations buddy. Sounds like that program will help you meet your goal.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks to both of you.

Wings1295 said...

Great news, Cal. Not only for your search for love, but for your health! I will be wanting to hear updates.

I am currently trying to lose weight/get in better shape myself. I gave myself a goal - 42 pounds off by my 42nd birthday. I am only going to weight myself one day a month, the first weigh-in day is coming up next week! I hope to see some results.

Good luck to us all on this journey. It ain't easy!

Here is my tumblr page to help motivate me:

http://42by42.tumblr.com/

csmith2884 said...

Good for you..Colleen and I have both just had weight loss surgery, her after struggling since her teen age years and me after gaining over 150 pounds since I broke my back in 2004. It's not easy but it works. I'm down 90 since August 52 since surgery Jan 24th.
Hope you find success. If I can help at all let me know. In other news, I need your hotmail e-mail all I have is the yahoo you don't use.

Nick Ward said...

I need to lose weight too. You as always are an inspiration so let's go buddy. I'm with you!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

kheighton@hotmail.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, I've known several people who have done that same program here in Edmonton -- it's a great learning experience. If you're motivated (and clearly you are) I predict it will do you a world of good! Cal the Hunk is right around the corner, I know it!

Sebastian Black said...

Dude, you will not bore us with updates. If anything it will be inspiring. Definitely keep us informed. I really hope you get the results you're looking for,

Drake said...

You know the old Dragon is rooting for ya! Sending mucho good vibes your way amigo. You can do it!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I will remember your support when I become Emperor.

Sarah said...

I'm rooting for you Cal! A close friend of mine recently received the same diagnosis you got last year and has viewed it as an opportunity to become more healthy for himself and his kids.

I'm behind you 100% and look forward to hearing your updates! As Sebastian said, they will be inspiring, never boring.

Bersercules said...

Congrats on losing five pounds a month! Thats pretty good weight loss! Keep it up!