Friday, March 30, 2012

Who Knew?


This crossed my path: What the rest of an Easter Island moai looks like. A bonus: there are petroglyphs carved into the lower portion. People presume the Easter Island statues are just heads, but many are much more than that which have sunk into the ground.

Also they’ve found white oval stones that can be inset in the eyes. National Geographic researches said that the eyes went in for special occasions so the statues would be “turned on” to guard the island. This one’s obviously in sleep mode.

5 comments:

csmith2884 said...

When you get that time machine thing working, pick me up. I would like to see them as they were.

DrGoat said...

Me too. Easter Island is on my bucket list. Need to commune with a Moai. I've had many a drink in a Moai tiki mug at Kon Tiki here in town. Don't drink anymore, but I've carved a few tikis.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Trust the Tiki. The Tiki will never steer you wrong.

Sebastian Black said...

I thought that was photoshopped at first. But then I looked it up, and if it is shopped, then half the internet would have to be shopped as well. ... wait.

Anonymous said...

There was quite a good movie from 1994 called Rapa Nui, set in the time of the Easter Island civilization before it's fall. Worth seeing if you can ferret it out.