Thursday, September 27, 2012

I Like This Idea - Second Sleep

"I just had dinner with my friend Emily Hurson, a talented actor, singer and all-round hoopy frood. When I asked her about her longtime struggle with insomnia, she mentioned that her life was much better since she embraced second sleep, a period of wakefulness in the middle of the night. According to its proponents, this sleep pattern is the one that humans naturally fall into when they don't have electric lighting, and was common until a few hundred years ago. I've been reading up on it this morning and I'm intrigued. Emily sez, "I've embraced that not getting 8 hours of sleep in a row is okay. When I wake up in the night, sometimes for a few hours, I don't get frustrated or worried about a lack of sleep." Have any of you tried it?"


 

3 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Since moving into my forties I haven't so much as tried it as it has tried me. Apparently it likes me. I have been following that sleep pattern for the last five years without much choice.

I knew about the concept of the second sleep for a while and I didn't think much of the idea, but apparently it likes me just fine.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Every middle-aged woman in menopause knows about it.

Kal said...

You girls have so many things that can go wrong with you. It must be a lot of work. And I thought it was tough to be a man, baby. Gary Busey told me that.