Monday, November 5, 2012

Remember, Remember The Fifth Of November


On November 5, 1605, a man named Guy Fawkes was arrested after he was found beneath the House of Lords near dozens of barrels of gunpowder, ready to be lit. Fawkes was one of a small group of conspirators plotting to assassinate James I, England’s first Stuart king, whose attitude toward Catholics had turned from moderate to hostile as time passed. In 1604, the king reintroduced fines against non-Anglicans (and his hostility was exacerbated by the foiling of this conspiracy, of course).


 

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

It was also the day that Doc Brown slipped on his toilet in 1955 and had a vision of the flux capacitor.

D.I. Felipe González said...

I wouldn´t have found out if I had not seen "V".

Kal said...

And that is why I watch both 'V' and 'Back To The Future' on this day. Neither event should ever be forgotten.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Who would ever have thought that Guy Fawkes would be BIG AGAIN in the 21st century? Go figure.

Dr. Theda said...

With the doctors and after I got home I fell asleep till I just Now woke up... I nearly forgot the 5th of November...!!!

Kal said...

Well you have to admit, Deb, that the costume they wore is a sweet look. How did they ever identify one from the other? Did one have a bigger feather by the other.