Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Why My Dad Is Better Than Your Dad

My father was a great athlete as a young man. He did the Decathlon and won many medals in the process. After joining the army he played on every regimental hockey basketball and fastball teams they had. We followed him to ever tournament we could.
 
I loved the cheeseburgers they grilled and once won $500 dollars in a fifty/fifty draw. I miss so much our curling as a family team (where the cheeseburgers are even BETTER). I guess it was his way to stay active and keep me an my sister involved in youth sports which he felt would be the best way to keep us out of trouble.
 
I may be a fat loser now but there was a time when I was a great athlete too. I miss the sense of accomplishment sometimes but am glad I never pushed myself so much that I suffer from knee and other body ailments to this day.
 
 
I am scanning a lot of old pictures to do a book about his life for his two Grandchildren so expect to see and learn alot more about the greatest man I ever knew.


7 comments:

DrGoat said...

That is a great project. Sounds like you should have plenty of source material. A fat loser you are not, so can it. Everyone's life has cycles. I had a great time being really active when I was young. I'm in my fluff/dry cycle now. Almost ready to get folded up and put away.

TS Hendrik said...

Pretty neat thing to do Cal. Your father clearly beats mine hands down, no arguments.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yay Shilo!

Kal said...

Sigh...Shilo.

DrGoat said...

It sounds like Shilo was your Gettysburg Cal. You're lucky you had a great moment like that in your life. Mine came when the rocket I made blasted off and flew right across the street right through the neighbor's picture window and into their living room. Yours sounds better.

DrGoat said...

Besides, you have buckshot in your head. Losers do not have this. The mark of an interesting life.

Kal said...

Shilo was such a great place to be a kid. I remember being allowed to stay out all night in the summer riding my bike around when I was 14. Never heard of drugs until I was in my late teens. It was like Mayberry with artillery guns.

In Germany my dad launced a firework at the Burgermeisters (mayors) house and he and his buddies went to apologize. It was new years and two hours later they came back with their arms around the drunk mayor and THEN the party began.