Monday, June 16, 2014

Oh God, Why More Penny Dreadful?


Why do I indulge in this deeply unhappy show? I wallow in it's depravity and it's pain. But really, can I see just ONE colored balloon so I know that the whole world is not a pile of rotting shit covered in the blood of the suffering and innocent?


Frankenstein had a FIRST Monster? One before Proteus? And he is as asshole? Of course he would be bitter because he wasn't properly parented. Isn't it enough to just have LIFE, Monster. You can fix anything as long as there is life. Stop whining that you had a father who was distant. You have LIFE.

 
This episodes spends a long time getting us in touch with the origins of Victor Frankenstein and it is as grim a tale as you would expect it to be. It's not neat nor happy. Welcome to disturbed genius and the rewards of being the first of one's kind. Welcome to the birth of an abomination.

I feel the pain of the Monster and his cries of loneliness and abandonment? He was a pitiful thing who thought himself an animal. All the time abandoned by his creator. I would make bitter as well. More bitter than I already am at my own creator. Hey, that just made me smile. More Penny Dreadful tomorrow.


 
I can't wait till they face my favorite character from the original Penny Dreadfuls, Spring-Heeled Jack. They seem to be hitting many of the favorite Victorian Boogeymen so there is a good chance.

 

4 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Hey, I hadn't thought of that! I'd love to see them do Spring-Heel Jack!

And speaking of Frankenstein's first monster... what an entrance, eh? But the monster's backstory is basically a Cliff Notes retelling of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. All the angst all the horror in that episode only touches on what is in the book.

Still, I absolutely love this show!

Mike said...

I love the story of Spring Heeled Jack also. It would be great if they actually touched on him!

Wings1295 said...

Enjoying the show, too. I think I am two behind. Last I saw, the gunslinger whose name I forget was getting frisky with Dorian Gray.

Kal said...

I want to see the Portrait. That is the most interesting thing about Dorian Grey.