Tuesday, August 12, 2014

All Kinds Of Awesome

 
I was 12 when I first saw Star Wars. I loved that movie and it became such a touchstone in my life. Mark Hamill's performance as Luke Skywalker was the closest I ever got to a childhood hero who was not in a comic book. Luke was a character I could really relate to even though my Father was not Darth Vader. I could see myself doing all the things he did to save the day. I even wore a great Luke costume for the first Halloween after the Summer of Star Wars. I am expecting a lot from Episode 7, nothing more so than watching Hamill bring the character full circle. If he dies, he deserves a magnificent death.
 
 

5 comments:

Barbecue17 said...

That is such an awesome picture. Mark Hamill just looks like he's going to be such an awesome Jedi master!

I cannot wait!

Tim Knight said...

I was about 11 when my parents first took me to see Star Wars and I was all about the dry wit of Han Solo for years - it's a British thing, I guess.

It was a long time before I came to appreciate the brilliance of Luke's journey, his growth.

Now, it's Luke I'm most interested in seeing in Episode VII, to discover where his self-discovery has taken him since we last saw him.

Given how cool I subsequently realised he was in Return, I simply can't imagine what his mastery of the Force will be like in the latest film.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

The beard looks great!

JBond said...

Yeah, man. While everyone always gushes about Ford getting back into his Solo persona....I've always been a Luke guy. There was always something pure-hero about him..and just when you got a little older and starting thinking he was a little too one-dimensional, he totally killed that darker brooding bit he did in RotJ. I CANNOT wait to see where J.J. et. al take his character in the next film! Can I buy tickets now?

Kal said...

It will be spoiled for us long before we can see it. I kinda hate that because we only had Starlog back in the day to inform us of Empire and Return. We knew nothing about the 'Luke I'm your father' moment.