Sunday, August 17, 2014

Gang Related


I can't believe this violent story of a cop working with a Mexican drug gang got to me as much as it did. There was no reason for this one to work, the least of which is that it appeared on FOX. A story like this needs to be grim and gritty and often hard to look at like the best of the cable series it hopes to emulate. The limitation of network TV had to be pushed far but not too far and somehow the creators achieved that goal for me. I got wrapped up in the weekly drama as the screws twisted tighter and tighter on Ryan Lopez (Ramon Rodriquez) who walks the tightrope between cop and gangster. He is morally corrupt but sympathetic - the root of all great characters in the crime genre.

I also believed in the dream of going legit that Kingpin Javier Acosta (Cliff Curtis) holds. He speaks of 'familia' and says all the right things but there is something hollow behind is words.


This one showed it's 13th (and I hope final) episode this week. I say final because it perfectly told the crime story it wanted to tell. All the lessons and consequences were paid by all the characters involved. No one gets out unscathed. They hinted at a second season but I don't care. I got enough to satisfy me out of a good season one.

Universally good and compelling. The way Ryan skirts getting caught at the pressure builds on him feels believable and never manufactured (as much as a story that aspires to be 'The Godfather of Los Angeles' can be manufactured).

In the age of selection and binge watching, this one could easily pass you by. Don't let it.

This is a story arc that works. I would match this one up with my other favorite new show Matador and serve Mexican food and drink tequila and make it a Latino themed night. Viva Los Angelicos.



No comments: