Friday, August 8, 2014

The Bombardment Of Blackbeard's Island Has Begun - Crossbones - Warning - Spoilers Aplenty


In a moment when the crew is in mutiny and Jagger is at his door, Edward has no choice but to think on his feet and watch his own master plan crumble before him. Damn this is one hell of a show. A winner that I hope goes out with a bang after 13 episodes and doesn't outstay it's welcome. The siege of the town was a great moment with some classic pirate stuff that thrilled me right down to my pantaloons.

The guy that comes as a messenger bringing an offer of surrender is the worst damn job in the King's army. How do you get chosen for such a duty or do you have to volunteer to be the dumbass?


The speech that Malkovich gives to inspire his tiny principality is one that I will be searching for with great effort because it's one that I want to know by heart. It's that cool. He is not a madman and that kind of person is the most dangerous one of all.


Fighting with one shot muskets that take a minute to reload and misfire more than they fire is a brutal way to fight and keep yourself from dying. Stabbing someone with a bayonet is also a harsh little bit of wetwork. Once again, for a network show, this one does not spare the gore of battle.

Everyone has their mettle tested in this one. Big payoffs for many of the character arcs and it's only episode nine. Where the hell do we go from here? Blowing up the island is not an option either.

Making jokes in the face of death is something this show does very well. Thomas Lowe - surgeon - but not JUST a surgeon. Also a skilled killer when he needs to be and the statesman he was destined to be. I enjoyed the character and the actor's performance.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH...the COIN...THE COIN!!!!

Battle of the crazy bitches. How could that have been better? I mean really?

 
And then I read this.

Crossbones met its end—the NBC series won’t be returning—in a two-hour finale, in which Santa Compana’s Commodore fully embraces his inner Blackbeard to face British forces led by sadistic and obsessed Jagger.

That mean's there are no more episodes of Crossbones. This really is the end. I like that idea. No I LOVE it. It ended beautifully and with the sort of elegance I really hoped for right from the beginning. Don't believe the ratings. Believe me and check out this show. Nine episodes that you can binge on in one weekend. So worth your time. I clapped at the end. Clapped at my computer.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Aw man.. its not coming back?

Well, I have to say I agree with you that the ending was very satisfying. It was a great show and the assault on the island was truly epic.

Kal said...

I thought it was a great show and happy that they didn't run out their welcome. I hope lots of people check it out now that they know you only have to invest the time to watch nine episodes.

Mike D. said...

I loved the show...sad it's done for. The legend of Blackbeard lives on. Historically what they want us to believe is that when the English finally caught up to the Reaver all those years ago...BB went down swinging...he was hard to take down. He had like 3 or 4 musket balls in his body and something like 12 slashes and stab wounds... He was a fighter.
About the show though... Nenna got away with murder. I guess that's the life of a pirate. Malkovich really knows how to do evil...My favorite role of his as a villain was Cyrus the Virus in Con-Air...great movie. Oh well...looking forward to seeing him in something else. The guy who played Lowe reminded me a lot of Eric Borghosian. lol

Kal said...

I could have watched the adventures of Thomas Lowe - Surgeon as it's own series. I liked the way this one ended and how contained it is.