Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Daredevil - Episode Four

 
Just keep layering the mythology on me baby. So many cool things happen this episode but I still find myself most annoyed by the punishment Matt is taking. He should be dying from all the abuse he goes through. Make with the body armor already. At least for your head. Concussions are real and they are not a joke. I could also do without the collateral damage happening to people around Matt. Some of that stuff is tough to take but necessary for the kind of story being told here. This is material that not only respect the comic book origins but takes the story to realistic violent places. Uncomfortable to watch but thrilling at the same time.


I want to miss this show so much it hurts when it's all over. I NEED this comic show to be great so that we see many, many more such risky projects in the future. And it was a risky idea from the start. Good on Netflix for producing some truly interesting original programming. And AGAIN the release of the whole series at once is a gift to a lonely shut-in like myself. My list of unwatched shows is large but I welcome anything this good to the pile

 
When the girl in the art studio introduced herself as Vanessa it's another sweet Easter egg to long time fans like me. Vanessa is Wilson Fisk's ONLY weakness. His love for her is how you get to him. Even an evil man can love and be loved and their relationship is kinda sweet, actually. That is until we see the rage that dwells just under the surface for Fisk. He is a monster of the most dangerous kind - one that hides his true nature behind a mask of civility. Vanessa can only come to a bad end through her association with him.
 
 
 
Matt does parkour across the roofs of the city? I can watch him move like that all day long. The use of his 'radar sense' is also becoming more pronounced and a powerful tool in his battle for Hell's Kitchen. I still get a kick out of watching him throw things like tire irons at guy's heads with unfailing accuracy. More practical demonstrations of how Matt's 'powers' actually work.

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I binged on the whole series this past weekend. I tried to keep an open a mind as possible, what with FM's comic run being one of my all time favorite comic memories. I think the only thing I missed was the King Pin not being bigger, and I wanted more billy club throwing/ricocheting action. And of course, not enough ninjas. But overall, not bad at all. I can see this getting better each season that it lasts. There is certainly enough good material to draw from.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I am very impressed with the storytelling and how much they have found the right tone for the story. Lots of cool directions to go in and for people who remember Daredevil's golden age in comics, this is especially a treat. Born Again should be the title of next season.

Unknown said...

I think that Born Again would be a great last season - that final picture of Matt and Karen walking hand in hand - fade to black and end of series. First I want some Elektra, the Hand, Stick, the Hulk, Spiderman, Turk and his many zany costurmes courtesy of Potter, Bullseye... so many directions to go.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

We could have him shaking hands with the Kingpin and taking over his operations. Thinking he can do it better.