Monday, July 20, 2015

True Detective Episode Five


I just figured out why I hate True Detective this season. The best reveal of the season makes me think that dropping Taylor Kitsch and Rachel McAdams and their entire storylines would have been the way to go after the first trip round the script. There is so much fluff when the juiciest storyline turns everything on it's head but should have been more slowly revealed. The best thread is between Frank the criminal trying to go legit and Ray, the cop who killed his wife's rapist only to just find out that he killed the wrong man because he believed Frank's infomation. That act put him forever in Frank's debt and caused his downward spiral. And now Ray's ex-wife knows the truth about him killing the wrong man. She is demanding a paternity test to get him out of her life. The disintegration and redemption and then final disintegration of Colin Farrell's character might have been an interesting thing to cover for the length of the season. This is what I have been missing. That whole twisting feeling in my gut watching Ray's whole world suddenly fall apart after he is given HOPE to get to stay in his son's life. I feel like they had this one great idea and they built all this STUFF around the story that can't hold up the tale they are trying to tell here. I somehow feel if I watch everything in reverse it will make a lot more sense.



 

No comments: