Friday, November 6, 2015

A Brief History of McDonaldland and the Toys (and Lawsuit) It Spawned

http://mentalfloss.com/article/69989/brief-history-mcdonaldland-and-toys-and-lawsuit-it-spawned

 
This is a great article about my beloved McDonaldland toys. I loved my Mayor McCheese very much as a kid and as you all know I recently replaced my lost figure back in the Collection of Cool. My guy is now mint in a 46 year old box. I love the fact that I can just reach out and touch him.
 
As a kid we didn't go to a McDonald's until I was about ten years old. On the same street in Saltzburg Austria that contain Mozart's birthplace, there was a tiny McDonald's wedged into between the older shops. It was just like a small diner but the food was unmistakable and amazing. It felt like magic food. It was there that I got my first Mayor McCheese doll and I involved him in all my action figure adventures. Many a battle was won alongside GI JOE, Spider-Man and Evil Knievel. Say what you want about his shaddy backroom dealings but the Mayor knew how to lead men into combat.
 
When we got back to North America, McDonald's was always a treat when you went shopping for weekly groceries. It was also the place you went to for food with your friends whenever you took the bus in the summer into the big city of Brandon, Manitoba. In fact it was there that me and my friends stole a Big Mac and Large Fries from a baby when her mother was distracted. Can you blame us? We were hungry and what kind of mother feeds her baby a Big Mac and Large Fries? We did her and that baby a favor.
 
The article does an excellent job explaining all the toys and why they came to be part of this strange collection of characters. I never knew anything about the lawsuit with the people who invented HR Puffinstuff. Personally I don't see the connection except that each are both trippy drug inspired worlds full of weirdos.
 

 
Mayor McCheese

The iconic Mayor McCheese, who had a cheeseburger as a head, functioned as the unequivocally incompetent head of McDonaldland’s government. Regardless of which actor provided his voice in the McDonaldland commercials, the superbly quirky delivery for Mayor McCheese was directly based upon the late comedian Ed Wynn, who provided the voice for the Mad Hatter in Disney's Alice in Wonderland.
 
The Remco Mayor McCheese doll comes complete with a bevy of impressive accessories, including removable yellow pince nez glasses; a removable purple sash emblazoned with the letter M; a fuschia tuxedo jacket with soft white plastic lapels; a removable soft white plastic flower with faux pearl; and a pinstripe sleeveless tuxedo jumpsuit with attached yellow vest.
 
 

5 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

Cool post... we remember these as a kid....

j-swin said...

Charlatan!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I remember when the very first McDonalds restaurant opened in Brandon in the early 70s. What a big deal it was! Hell, I'm so old I remember when the DQ opened in Brandon too. Both are still operating in their original locations. In fact I ate at the McDonalds last weekend -- Big Mac and fries but I didn't steal them from no baby.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That's the one near the Woolco, right. That is the one where I stole from the little baby and where we caught the bus back to the base at the end of the day.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, it's that one although I believe they ripped down the original building and built a new one. Maybe even a couple of times now!