I still think that I would be perfect for the program. I can happily sit in the same small space for months or years at a time as long as I have internet access and the ability to download my shows. You want data, I am full of it. I think they are just setting the bar way too high for these fancy flyboys. Why not a normal schlub like me to motivate the next generations of underachievers?
Who can apply
- Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
- Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
- French or English (proficiency in both is an asset).
- Doctorate in one of the following fields:
- medicine; or
Professional experienceIn addition to the educational requirements, applicants must:
- be licenced to practise medicine in Canada.
Other qualificationsSince astronauts are called upon to perform a variety of scientific and technical work, applicants will be invited to provide information on their:
- knowledge (e.g., other languages)
Physical and medical requirementsTo be considered, applicants must meet very stringent medical requirements and be in excellent health.
Selected applicants will be required to undergo CSA medical examinations, which include the following requirements:
- Height: Between 149.5 cm and 190.5 cm
- Weight: Between 50 kg and 95 kg
- Visual acuity: 20/20 (6/6) or better in each eye, with or without correction.
- Applicants must not be colour blind.
- Applicants who have undergone refractive laser surgery (PRK or LASIK) are eligible.
- The CSA does not recommend that applicants undergo refractive laser surgery for the sole purpose of applying for employment as an astronaut.
- For those applicants under final consideration, an operative report on the surgical procedure will be requested.
- Applicants must be free from visual and other complications after undergoing this type of surgery.
- Blood pressure: Not higher than 140/90 mm Hg, measured in a sitting position.
- Auditory acuity: Normal hearing (do not suffer from a chronic or recurring auditory condition).
Operational requirementsFrequent travel outside Canada without family, sometimes on short notice and for extended periods of time.
Conditions of employment
- Secret security clearance.
- As part of the selection process, security clearance must also be obtained from the governments of the Canadian Space Program partners.
- Relocation to Houston, Texas, in August 2017.
- Successful completion of pre-employment medical examinations.
- Vaccination against communicable diseases, as required