Sunday, July 16, 2017

Martin Landau And George Romero RIP



 
Two entertainment greats die on the same day.
 
Landau of course was the star of Space 1999 and Mission Impossible which were two shows I enjoyed very much as kid. Plus he was in Ed Wood as Bela Lugosi which he won an Oscar for. He was nominated two other times but Bela was his greatest role. Sad to see him go.
 
When I was 13 I got my projectionist licence and for the final we had to show a couple of movies at the Brandon University (which had a huge collection of 35 mm films) and the films for my night were The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the original Living Dead so I have been aware of Romero for a long time and enjoyed his zombie movies. For some reason zombies films are the least scary to me. I also loved the Walking Dead until it got too hopelessly sad. Romero is the acknowledge father of the entire living dead genre.
 



 

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've always had a thing for Martin Landau. He's a handsome man and a good actor. I loved all his roles but thought he was especially brilliant in Ed Wood. He deserved that Oscar. RIP to a fave.

Sam G said...

Very sad to see such icons pass away. Still glad that Landau turned down the role of Mr. Spock on Star Trek.

DrGoat said...

Dammit. Grew up with Martin Landau. Mission Impossible, one of my favorites. His Bela was one of the best. Laughed myself silly when I first saw Ed Wood. Rest in peace good man.