Saturday, September 5, 2009

I Love 'The Core'


And I don't care who knows it. Here is my second in what will no doubt be a series describing movies that I love despite the fact that they were savaged by the critics upon their initial release. I know I have an affection for the movie because as it came on the satellite tonight I was right there with my popcorn. Starring Hillary Swank and Aaron Eckhart, 'The Core' is about a group of scientists who notice that the core of the Earth has stopped spinning. This is a bad thing because the spinning molten liquid at the center of the Earth creates our EM or electromagnetic field. This protects us from solar winds and microwaves and other forces from space that have the power to kill us. Despite the fact that the cause of the stopped core is man made, a group of scientists are tasked with building a ship that can not only reach the core of the Earth but deploy the nuclear missiles possible to fix the problem. I love these kinds of movies. Great CGI shows natural destruction on a massive scale as the effect of the core's problems become more pronounced. The opening scene where the Space Shuttle has to land in downtown L.A. is brilliant. Movie science is applied to solve a problem and our intrepid team of adventurers risk their lives to save us all. Of course not all of them are coming back but that is the fun in an action adventure movie like this. Delroy Lindo, Stanley Tucci and Bruce Greenwood round out the group of adventurers and there is a significant level of acting talent connected to this project. There is sadness when we loose characters that we have become attached too and its a credit to the filmmakers that their deaths are so affecting. Over all, this movie fascinates and takes us into a place few adventure movies have gone before. Come for the great effects but stay for the great characters and relationships. I recommend 'The Core'.

3 comments:

themom said...

I just watched this again last week...I think for the 40th time. There are some movies I never get tired of watching - and people think I'm nuts....hahahah!

EVILFLU said...

Is that the movie where Tea Leoni gets hit by a big giant wave and dies?? Cuz I totally love that movie >:)

MC said...

The Core is a very underrated movie.