Monday, September 14, 2009

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish



There is nothing I enjoy watching more than the documentary fishing shows. I don't care if its the crab fisherman on the Bering Sea or the ones on the Grand Banks who fish for lobster or swordfish. I just find the whole thing exciting to watch and I get the same thrill they must get when the traps come up full or they pull a 500lb tuna or swordfish on deck. So you can imagine that I was in my glory when I discovered a new show from Scotland called 'Trawlerman' about fishermen who drag the bottom of the sea for prawns or whatever they can find. Its a bleak life but strangely appealing to me if that makes any sense. I am not a man designed for that kind of manual labor. I am a thinker, a teacher. But there have always been fishermen in my family so maybe its the last vestiges of my genetic heritage. I love listening to the accents though I find that for about an hour after I have seen a show that no one has a clue what I am talking about because I can't help but mimic the words.









2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

These shows do nothing for me, but my oldest son has mad-love for "Deadliest Catch".

erin said...

I was obsessed with Deadliest Catch during my pregnancy with Elijah. I watch Whale Wars from time to time now just to see if they can actually keep them from whaling or not.
I like whales and everything, but fishing has gone on for hundreds and hundreds of years...it's a cultural thing and I just don't like fucking with that more than fucking with the whales.