Tuesday, February 9, 2010

E.W. I Await Your Offer

"We can't leave work in the middle of the day, we are not Somali pirates." Dr. Lem Hewitt (Malcolm Barrett) - Better Off Ted



Early on in my blogging I saw that the daily newspaper strip -'Ripley's Believe It or Not' had copied two things I had posted about and included them in their one panel comic. I know it wasn't the case that they 'copied' from me personally, but I liked to think that they found the story on my blog and it was deemed worthy for their purposes.

There I go again, assuming I am the center of the universe. Well according to bit torrent sites like Demonoid I am because within hours of me thinking about a particular film or learning about an old movie or TV show I might want to see, that torrent appears...POOF...for me to use.

Happened again today when I was reading the new Entertainment Weekly. They highlighted this quote from 'Better Off Ted' like I did a few weeks ago. Of course that means that someone else found the same quote memorable and watched the same show. Big deal right?

But you can ALSO think of is this way. I have the pop cultural sensibilities to work at, and eventually run, the entire magazine. More of that sick kind of validation I soak up the way a sponge soaks up blood.

Don't worry. I will never leave the 'Cave of Cool' as long as you keep reading. I will just whore out my talents to the 'man' also.

2 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

You can't be the center of the universe. I am.

See I know this because people have been taking my ideas for years. I thought of the idea for Dexter two years before it came out, but didn't think anyone would buy the idea. True story.

In reality it's just a bunch of idea sellers who watch what geniuses are coming up with, and then sell it off to people with 'ambition.'

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That's is a really great point. Go ahead, steal my genius. It's all in the execution baby. And that you will never be able to do better than me because I always hold back that ONE twist that you will never think of.

I figure that one day that really great idea will come up that will motivate me to gather around me really smart people who I can then manipulate for my own selfish reasons. I will only take 50% off the top and no more. I am not greedy.

Give the co-stars the funniest lines. That's how you get your sitcom to stay on for years and years.

So Dexter was yours. If that was me that fact would turn me into a serial killer that only kills producers, crew and actors that star in serial killer TV shows. Hey, that is not bad.