Friday, April 8, 2011

Y - The Last Man


This should be the next show that cable TV adapts. I would love to see each issue done as an hour of television. How terrific a show would this be? All the characters would keep both actresses and monkeys working for years. It would be epic. And that ending? Awesome.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about. This is the cover to the final issue of 'Y - The Last Man'. The covers are very memorable and an important part of the overall story much in the same way that the covers of the series 'Fables' are. Great care and thought go into their creation. The series' covers were primarily by J. G. Jones and Massimo Carnevale

'Y: The Last Man' is a comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra published by Vertigo beginning in 2002. The series is about the only man (Yorrick Brown) to survive the apparent simultaneous death of every male mammal (barring the same man's pet monkey, Ampersand) on Earth. The series was published in sixty issues by Vertigo and collected in a series of ten paperback volumes. . The series received five Eisner (the Oscars of comic books) awards.




6 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

They were supposed to turn it into a movie, but I believe everyone pulled out awhile back. Too bad as it's a great property.

Matt said...

As I recall, it was being developed by D.J. Caruso (Taking Lives, Disturbia, Eagle Eye, etc.) with Shia LaBeouf attached to star as Yorrick but that fell apart (although IMDB still has it listed as "in development"... just like Preacher). After seeing what a great job AMC did with The Walking Dead, I'd love to see that network take on another comic property.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Alas, poor Yorrick, I knew him well, eh?

Booksteve said...

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'd always ignored this series but you made it sound good so I grabbed some issues to read in between trivia questions tonight on the world's only 54 hour Trivia contest! Enjoying the series quite a bit!

Kal said...

You should know by now that to doubt the recommendations of the 'Cave of Cool' is just silly. Hope you are doing well. How are you doing in the trivia contest? That is something that reminds me of Lisa. She is crazy and psycho but would be a very good partner at something like that. Okay I lied - hearing from you reminds me of her.

Chase March said...

I completely agree.

I swear, you should be working in the idea departments of television networks or film studios. You have great ideas and the passion to see them through.

This book series was an amazing read. I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, but overall it was a great story.