Sunday, October 9, 2011

American Horror Story


"Don't make me kill you again." - Jessica Lang

I am not a huge horror fan. I do, however, enjoy a nice haunted house story. I believe that evil has a way of sticking to object, places and people. Some places are to be avoided.


Ryan Murphy, the creator of 'Glee' (another type of horror story) is one of the brains behind this new series on FX. It's the story of a young family who move into a house with a past at a time in their lives when they are desperate for a new beginning.

I am glad that I can watch this on one of the cable networks because you really can't do effective terror unless you can show the blood and violence. Sex is also intrinsically connected to horror in literature and this program doesn't shy away from those naughty behaviors either.


R-rated Ammityville Horror is the best way to describe this one.

The cast is very strong with Jessica Lange being a standout as the creepy lady next door who lives with her equally creepy Downs Syndrome daughter.


I enjoyed the way this program plays with perception. The family are already having visions of things that don't exist or don't appear the same to whomever is looking at them.

This is not a happy program but a fun one. The terror isn't the type that just jumps out at you. It's the atmosphere of dread that makes you feel the most uneasy while you watch. Because I like that kind of television, I will be back next week.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I forgot to record it last week! Must remember this week...

Robin said...

I LOVED this show!!! Perfect amount of creepiness.

Daisy said...

My Mommeh said I am not allowed to watch, but she loved it, too!

Unknown said...

One of the guys i work with was raving about it so i think i shall give it a watch.

JBond said...

I'm so glad you're onboard. Only one episode in and I think its fair to say that this might wind up being my favorite new show of the season.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The two maids (depending who is looking at them) was enough to keep me flacid for the week. How would it be if you started with the sexy young maid and then suddenly she morfs back into the ugly old maid....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?