Saturday, October 8, 2011

Drive (2011)


There is something to be said for style. So many movies these days try to substitute style for story. This is one of the few movies I have seen recently that has both in equal measure.

Ryan Gosling with his passive, uninvolved acting style actually works here. If you can get past the early parts of the film, where his silences are infuriating, you will be rewarded.


Everything winds tight like a coiled spring. You wait for the release and that can be excruciating at times.

I had no doubt that this would end badly. No truly epic crime drama has an ending that turns out well for it's leads. This one is epic. Beautifully so.

The pulsing 80s soundtrack sets the mood and the time perfectly.


Too many long silences between the two leads. I love Carrie Mulligan but she feels miscast here. She is almost too sweet and nice. I think I cared more about her than I should have if that makes any sense.

Christina Hendricks - screen presence up the ying/yang and she is in the film less than ten minutes. You just can't take your eyes off her.


The sound here is terrific and visceral - from aching silence to ear shattering loud. It's almost a character in itself.

I thought I would hate this one and kept looking for a reason to bail. That moment never came. The story unfolds nicely and the characters are given time to develop. This is just the kind of film that gets nominated for Oscars.

POV driving shots and many of the car racing techniques showcased here need to be taught at film school. Many things you have never seen before no matter how many action movies with car chases that you have witnessed. It was thrilling to view.


Albert Brooks is great as the crime lord at the top of the pyramid. It was reminded again why I am such a big fan of his work.

Very European. Very violent. Got under my skin. A winner all the way.

9/10

1 comment:

DrGoat said...

Albert Brooks always cracked me up. Cool to see him playing a different kind of part.