Monday, October 17, 2011

Transformers - Prime Season One


I have always been a big fan of the 'Transformers' concept. Robots that turned into vehicles who battled each other in a clash between good and evil? What's not to love. I know the original television series was merely a way to sell the toys (which were well made with excellent play value) but they made some effort to give us relateable interesting characters and exciting storytelling.

There is not a person alive who would not know the sound a 'Transformer' makes when they 'transform' from one vehicle to another. There are also very few who wouldn't recognize the voice of Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen).

All the best things about the 'Transformers' brand is brought to this new series. The animation is gorgeous and fluid and you can actually distinguish between two robots when they are fighting - something that was impossible to do in the live action 'Transformer' movies. The voice work is stellar as is the sound and music. The soundtrack soars at just the right moments. I often felt a swell in my chest because the musical cues were so Pavlovian.

As great as all of those things are, it's the story telling that is the true genius of this incarnation. Everything built to an epic three part tale where Optimus and Megatron are forced to team up to defeat the ancient evil that is UNICRON.

We are rewarded with the story of a time at the end of Cybertron's Golden Age when Megatron and Optimus were friends. It was only Megatron's wounded pride that brought an end to that relationship and an end to peace on Cybertron.

Megatron is not a one note villain. He is a fully realized character with a true sense of honor and nobility. He is a wounded child who didn't get his way and threw one HELL of a tantrum but he is a robot of his word.


I found myself admiring him for his genius and his practicality. Despite being totally untrustworthy he managed to talk his way onto Optimus' mission to defeat Unicron. We all knew he would betray Optimus in the end but THE WAY it was done here was so wonderfully elegant that I literally screamed at the television during the final minute of season 1. There is nothing better than being rewarded for your viewership like that. It's what makes television great.

I hope there are some of you out there who watch this show with your kids. I wish my niece and nephew lived closer so that I could share it with them. You can never have enough thrilling adventures with lessons about loyalty and friendship for me. This one is a winner. '

If you are a fan tell me what you think in the comments. If you are not a fan or have never seen this cartoon, I ask you, "What's your damage?"

No comments: