Sunday, March 18, 2012

100 Questions - The Next Ten


71) You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?

I save the dog. Are you freaking kidding me? Who wouldn't save the dog? Then I take this wet animal with me to drop on my boss' desk. I am all about making a scene.

72) You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. a) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? b) What do you do with your remaining days? c) Would you be afraid?

I am sure I would be afraid. I don't have many people who would miss my going so I would keep it to myself. No heroic measures. I would probably just travel to the far north to find a nice ice flow to quietly float away.


73) You can only have one of these things; trust or love.

Nice trick question, there is no love without trust.

74) What's a song that always makes you happy when you hear it?

These Are Days by 10,000 Maniacs



75) What are the last four digits in your cell phone number?

Cell phones give you brain and testicular cancer so I don't use one. Of course not having anyone to call makes that easy. I also am saving the bees so it's a win/win.

76) In your opinion, what makes a great relationship?

Tolerance and understanding. Sense of humor (absolutely critical) and a philosophy of life that focuses on building people up rather than breaking them down. Crushing a partner's or student's spirit is too much work for me. Being abusive is too much work for me.

If I support my partner or my students to be the best they can be, that can only have positive effects on my life and there's. I am all about everyone getting a fair shot. I do not tolerate bullying. I loath anyone who uses their power to oppress someone smaller and weaker than themselves. I did not tolerate such attitudes in my classroom or life. It would be great if anyone I was with had a similar militant attitude about these topics.


77) How can I win your heart?

Tell me you think I am cool and back that up with your actions. Support my hobbies and interests. All my presents should add to my toy collection that shows you did some research. My father took his toy buying seriously and so should you. Remember the little things I tell you. Take advantage of the things I am good at. Listen to my advice and on occasion take it just to humor me. Just love me and ask me at least twice a week - "How did you know that?" so I can answer by saying, "Because I am a genius."

78) Can insanity bring on more creativity?

I am living proof of that. There can be no comedy without childhood trauma and no creativity without taking crazy risks. Every failure just teaches you how best to refine your artistic approach. I believe that everyone does their own kind of art in their own way. There is art and beauty in the magic of ordinary things.


79) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far?

To keep a promise to my father to follow one of my dreams to completion. This blog is part of that process. I have truly never been happier since I stopped teaching full time. I was burned out and needed to make a major change in my life.

80) What size shoes do you wear?

Size ten, when I wear shoes. Do socks or sandals have sizes? On a totally unrelated topic, I pretty much will die if I don't get one of these in the next 48 hrs.

8 comments:

Budd said...

my best decision so far? Hmm. Egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I can not see myself second guessing that one.

Sebastian Black said...

No love without trust? I love my shoes, and they're always running out on me. I love electricity, and I can't tell you how many times I've stuck a paperclip in an outlet and felt very betrayed. But the love is still there.

(Can I win an argument or what?)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good answers! You have reflected deeply on life, I can see.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Sebastian, I had a kid once who did what you did with the outlets and we had to send him to the 'special class'.

Belle said...

I'm glad you are happier since quitting teaching. My daughter Christine got burned out from nursing and says she will never go back to it. You have to go with your heart sometimes or you will go nuts.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was all the coaching and staff meetings and all the other B.S. that keeps you from just interacting with and teaching the kids. I sure don't miss the marking or the planning I can tell you that much. I will sub in the fall just to give myself something else to do.

Sarah said...

That ice floe had better have an internet connection so you can continue to blog until the very end. I would expect no less from you.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks, I am glad to be appreciated.