Saturday, March 10, 2012

Death Of A Giant





One of my first artistic influences came from reading 'Heavy Metal' magazine - the ones my cousin would squirrel away for me until I came to visit. I was fortunate to also live in an age when much of Moebius' work was reprinted into beautiful English language editions - all of which I own. He is iconic and like a Jack Kirby, his work influences every great graphic artist that has come after. I am glad his work will forever survive the man.



It is my sad duty to impart the news that Jean ‘Moebius’ Giraud has passed away. While most widely known to mainstream comics fans for his collaboration with Stan Lee, Silver Surfer: Parable (whose final page is depicted above), Moebius was also famed for his Blueberry graphic novels, co-founding Metal Hurlant (the inspiration for Heavy Metal, and to a lesser extent, Epic Magazine), and for helping design the look of Tron alongside Syd Mead.

Moebius’ influence was widely felt in both the American and European comics industries, and the artform will be poorer for having lost him.







No comments: