Friday, March 23, 2012

Hugo



I have had this one sitting in the file for a week now but I could never get myself to pull the plug and just start the damn thing. Even the recommendation of the awesome Ms. Malibu could not convince me to put in the time. I was afraid that I would be spending so much time watching the screen that I wouldn't get precious little done during the time.

I was so wrong. From the opening scene I didn't WANT to do anything other than watch this film. It's beautiful to look at and listen to. It's a perfect love story to the birth of film. It's no surprise that this is a Martin Scorsese movie. The man is a genius in any genre.

The Paris of his film is the Paris of memory. Any of us who have been to the City of Lights only remember the romance of long loafs of bread, outdoor cafes, young love, flower, and music.

The set design is gorgeous and totally takes advantage of the 3D effect. The camera follows characters through clockworks and hallways, up and down stairs and over rooftops.

Every shot comes from a new and different angle which really goes far in establishing this world as a REAL place. Every shot is just gorgeous to look at. This is a movie you need to watch many times just to take in all the detail.




Ben Kingsley is perfectly cast as a bitter Toymaker who may or may not be George Melies, the first great genius of film. Melies once put his camera outside his factory and just filmed his workers leaving for the day. People actually paid to watch that film footage as they were hungry for any new content from this new entertainment medium.

Music, soundtrack, setting, props, - all gorgeous.

Chloe Grace Mortz is terrific playing a character who is exactly the same age she is in real life. Grace has a way of creating characaters that are so perfectly right for theme of the movies she is in. Reminds me a young Jodi Foster.

Jude Law is also interesting as Hugo's father and inspiration. His quiet promise gave Hugo a reason to live druing his dark years.

I have a great love for the early days of movies. I knew a few things about the great early masters of film but during University, I made sure all my free option classes has to do with the history of film. All the early fantasy pieces like 'From the Earth To the Moon' have a real special place in my heart.

I have no trouble telling my much adored Malibu that I will never doubt her movie recommendations again. She is already so much prettier than I am. Now it appears she is smarter too.

I can see this one becomming a Holiday classic. Well worth your time.

8/10

3 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Oh I LOVED this movie, but it was the wrong choice to watch with my parents because my mom always asks just when the movie starts "What is that?" or "where are we?" or "Who is that guy?" And its things were either I don't know right away, or I do know that it'll be explained in a little bit. If she's ever in suspense for more a minute she gets ornery. They need to make movies with commentary tracks like Arnold Schwarzngger did for "Total Recall" were he explains every single thing that we can already see happening. That way she'll know.

As a fan of silent cinema this past year has been fantastic for films. The big pictures of the year Drive, Midnight in Paris, Hugo and The Artist (which I still need to see) have all involved silent styles or characters of some kind. Its like you're always saying, we live in a golden age.

(Also I've since learned that Subscribing to Comments by e-mail is possible if you switch your blogger settings to "Embed Comments". Would it be possible for you to change that setting so that I can keep a pulse on further developments here at the Cave of Cool? Thanks.)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks. I will try that and see if it helps collect all the comments that people want to send me. I appreciate all the time and length you give to you comments. I imagine in real life that these would be the stuff of our long conversations.

csmith2884 said...

Waiting on my fiancee to watch this with me..