Saturday, March 17, 2012

Kony 2012 Explained

I wondered how I was going to start talking about the whole 'Kony 2012' story as it was all over the Interwebs last week. At first it all seemed too slick a production - a feeling that was confirmed watching the leader of the organization and people like Angela Jolie spin the balloon juice that is 'Invisible Children' on any new program that he could squeeze into the 24 hr news cycle.

When the founder of the company was caught having a naked freak-out on the streets of Las Vegas I realized that, once again, nobody is talented enough to write the soap opera bullshit that is modern life in the Digital Age. Viral video morphs into creepy and sad testament.

I hope this is not an end to the foolishness. If Invisible Children is all just another scam then I will enjoy seeing it brought down by the same monster they tried to recruit last week.

The '10 O'Clock Live' did a great take on the whole issue.



Other Kony Stories



http://boingboing.net/

4 comments:

Tempo said...

Oh, now I'm just confused..
Should have known it was money behind it all the time...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That "10 o'clock live" clip is great. Apart from some justified criticism of the Invisible Children charity, it has some fab one liners!

M. D. Jackson said...

Peter Mansbridge's interview with Stephen Lewis the other night on Mansbrige One on One, had some real insights into the Kony 1012 organization from a man who was there in Africa at the time and actually negotiated for the release of some of the kidnapped children.

Sebastian Black said...

Dude, you totally educated me. I'd never heard of Kony (though, I had heard of 2012--it's like really good eyesight, right?). And education that makes me laugh, is something I'm all for.