Saturday, March 17, 2012

Paul Sizer - From Idea To Reality


In case you have been living in a cave somewhere, you know that the fantastic illustrator Paul Sizer was the one who designed the current headed at the top of my page.

I liked his stuff and commission him to do the work without first knowing that he also designed CD covers for Thomas Dolby, one of the first and favorite early multimedia artists of the Video Age. Dolby combines images with his music to give the listen/viewer an more immersive music experience. He does this all in a world with Steampunk sensibilities. How could I not be a fan?

I dig that me and Dolby share a designer.

What follows in another example of the keen design mind of Paul. I love this whole idea. I hope Dolby has a concert coming my way.

Up until now, this was just a JPEG that I put together for Thomas. Now, according to these pictures from Houston, the Time Capsule is a real, solid thing that will be towed behind Thomas’ tour bus and will allow people at his concerts to go inside and record 30 second YouTube messages to the future, then have them automatically uploaded for voting. So amazing to see it in more than pixels!


Hey Kal,

Here's the design I mocked up for Thomas Dolby, based on his suggestion to use this trailer model as a starting point, which he then ordered, and had some sculptor friends of his in California actually produce it.

It will follow Dolby's tour bus the entire tour, being parked out side at each venue, for people to climb inside to record a 30 second "message to the future" that will automatically be uploaded to a YouTube channel for voting.

Pretty groovy, eh? Post away; Dolby just completed concerts at SXSW and is moving around the continent counter-clockwise.

Here's the scoop: http://time-capsule.tv/

Paul






http://www.paulsizer.com/

1 comment:

Paul Sizer said...

Thanks for the post, Cal. Can't wait to see this trailer in the flesh...or metal, or whatever. : )