Wednesday, March 21, 2012

We Were Number 9


Recently 190 cities in Canada were evaluated on a number of criteria to see which cities were the most livable. We did well despite our reputation for being dangerous place. Like any boom town we have problems with drugs and petty crimes to support drug habits.

Most of the violence occurs within a small criminal subset of our population. Being halfway between the major centers of Calgary and Edmonton doesn't help our reputation as a hub for the movement of drugs to the larger cities in the province. Our central location in the province makes us a natural headquarters for all kinds of industries - illegal or not. However, I have never felt unsafe walking around the town at night.

Rankings out of 190 cities:

Weather: 44
Affordable housing: 87
Household income: 31
Discretionary income: 11
New cars on road: 149
Job prospects: 17
Population growth: 17
Doctors per 1,000: 72
Low crime: 168
Walk or bike to work: 126
Transit: 64
Health professionals: 42
Culture: 83

The crime rate ranks among the country's worst, but that hasn't stopped people from moving to Red Deer. In the decade between 2001 and 2011, the city added more than 20,000 people to its population. One reason for the population boom is a low unemployment rate that leaves Red Deer locals with cash to burn.

I live just down the street from St. Mary's Church. Designed by world famous architect Douglas Cardinal it's a unique and important building.


This is our famous mushroom water tower that is best known as the tower I climbed with a rifle to shoot at everything I was angry about. But I never brought a lunch or extra water or even sunscreen. After I fired off my one bullet I discovered that I was still angry and that just ruined the whole operation. Next time I will plan a lot better.


We are also proud of our world-class Red Deer College which has developed one of the finest theatre and movie production departments in all of Western Canada.


If all these things don't convince you to immigrate to this pretty city - I present the Donut Mill - the finest donuts in three provinces and a nice tea pot museum to learn you some culture before you drive away.

5 comments:

Tempo said...

Looks like a nice place...and so green. We dont get much green here in OZ, lots of brown (mainly from things that were once green)Lots of red (dust) and down by the sea a bit of blue..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, I loves me the Donut Mill. I always stop there on my way to Calgary to eat and pee.

DrGoat said...

The Donut Mill sold me. Looks like a great place to pee.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yes, the urine flow works like a water wheel to turn the blades of the windmill.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh you guys! Now you're spoiling it for me. I'll never want to pee there again. Tanks fer nuttin.