Saturday, June 29, 2013

In Two Weeks - Season Two Of 'The Newsroom' Begins

 
I know 'The Newsroom' is smug and overwritten and myopic but it has a passion for it's point of view that I rarely see in series television. Lots of strong personalities given a lot to say in a short amount of time. So pay attention ya ignorant hillbillies. Alan Sorkan is a writing wiz and you either love him or hate him. I find an episode a week is good enough for me. I need time to digest all those words.

 
How can I stop watching my Maggie (Alison Pill) as she frantically stumbles through her job and her personal life like she is on an out of control train car. No one plays that kind of collapse with doe eyed intensity like Pill does. She is part of a really strong cast who all have that special kind of expert timing - timing they need just to say what is written for them. With that, the whole machine of 'The Newsroom' seems to work.
 
The genius of the writing is the stories come from last year, so there is time to add analysis to the actual events. Watching the news team report on a major crisis  (like the Gulf Oil Spill) knowing NOW what we didn't know THEN is often very compelling television to watch.
 

 





No comments: