Sunday, August 11, 2013

BEETNIKS

One of my all time favorite parts of summer is the first crop of beets. I personally hate beets and anything that is made with the vile tuber, however, I LOVE beet LEAVES wrapped around bread and baked together. We always called them Beetniks around our house and they are a delicacy from my Ukrainian Baba. There is something in the beet leaves that infuses the bread with an amazing flavor. I made three full bags today. On the next rainy day I will make some kick-ass chilli and be in heaven. Just don't forget you have to 'SWEAT' the buns by placing them in a bag as they are cooling. Trap that moisture in the bread. Makes all the difference, kids.

 
OMG...I just consumed a Beatnik and a garlic filled giant olive.
Is this what heaven feels like?
 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My Rare One makes those once in a while too. Do you eat yours with a bacon/cream sauce? (Just for some extra calories, you understand).

Kal said...

My mother likes them that way but I like them after they have been 'sweated' in the plastic bag and cooled down.