Sunday, August 25, 2013

I Am So Pathetic

 
I can hear the neighbors having a great fire and great party in their backyard but I am too frightened to go twenty feet and introduce myself. I had a nice conversation with the guy who lives next door a few days ago about the trees we share and about trimming them down before a big wind does the job for us. He was bringing a guy in and wanted to know if he could go into our yard if he needs to. Of course I said sure. It was the first time I have even met one of the people who live next door despite the fact that they have been year for a couple of years now.

Now if this was fifty years ago I would already have know his name and of course I would be invited to join them as a matter of neighborly courtesy. They would have given me a beer and some snacks to keep me happy in case their party got out of control and I called the cops to complain about the noise. I would never do that of course because I am not a squealing rat bastard. I just turned on the fans in my room and with my CPAP breathing machine, I am sure I won't hear any of the merriment.

Welcome to the Brave New World were I have all these communication tools at my disposal but I feel more isolated than I have in a long time.


No emails from my Mother or my Aunt so far as they are on their Yukon adventure. I know they haven't been killed by bears because ANY omnivore that got that close to my mother would regret the old school immigrant beating should would have put on that Yogi. I hope she took tons of pictures so I can see all the cool places they visited.

Three days on the bus from Kelowna to Whitehorse with my Aunt? Now THAT is my nightmare. I am glad I made arrangements for her to fly home from Whitehorse. 4 hours vs 3 days travel time is a no brainer. But she wanted to take the bus so that she got to SEE everything from ground level.

So it's just been me and the cat for 8 days. She will be home on the 29th, hopefully with many stories to tell.

Until then I sit and wish I could go next door and show those happy people how to REALLY party.

But of course I will just sit here - feeling lonely and abandoned.

 

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Hmm, now that we've moved into a highrise building, it is surprisingly quiet. But I can still hear the noisy neighbors yelling at each other. I do not wish to join that party!

Hobgoblin238 said...

Thank you for finally defining Ennui. You have posted in the past that someone's Ennui is delicious to you and I have scratched my head over what that meant although too lazy to google it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Seems to be the modern condition in many ways, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Bummer- wish you were able to join a community on the outside like a hobby - community theatre saved me from drowning in my own ennui every day and saved my life actually. I don't go on stage - not for me - but the tech stuff is awesome. That's my suggestion - go out and find people who share your same level of weird, be it theatre, a part time job at a bookstore, a cosplay group...cause they are out there.

M. D. Jackson said...

I'm the same way. I'm outgoing when I'm writing but in real life I have almost what amounts to social anxiety.

I have lived up the street from a guy in a motorized wheelchair for almost five years and I only just met him two days ago. I happened to be heading to the mail box and his chair had stopped at the end of the drive. He asked me for help and I just happened to have the skills to help figure out the problem with the wires.

This is a guy who is almost totally paralyzed and he has more of a social life than I do.

So I helped out a neighbour and made a new friend, which is an exceedingly rare occurrence in my real life.

Kal said...

Thanks for sharing my pain everyone. I do need to get out more but that is a lot of work.