Wednesday, April 16, 2014

He Couldn't Run From Me Forever

 
It happened. It finally happened. I found a day when I was happy enough to open a package I have been holding onto since before Christmas. After many years I found my Holy Grail figure. His acquisition convinced me to spend this year adding some depth to my collection. I bought a nice glass case from Ikea that I have yet to put together. I wanted something clear to show off all the great loose figures that I have and keep the dust off them at the same time.
 
And it also allows me to search for complete loose figures in good condition. That opens up my chances to have the figures I want even though they aren't with the original packaging. I often love the box art more than the figures themselves.
 
I promised myself that I would not pay more than 40 dollars for an Oscar Goldman figure to match the price of the mint in box Oscar that I passed on about 15 years ago. After all this time I found one for sale at a great price from Australia. The shipping FROM ACROSS THE FREAKIN WORLD WAS ONLY 14 DOLLARS. What the hell is wrong with shipping in North America?
 
Here's how the unveiling took place.
 
 
Why did I decide to order a pool cover from Australia?
I don't even have a pool.

 
Look how carefully he was packaged. Just like the treasure he is.

 
I can't believe he is close enough for me to touch him. Look at that original tweed jacket and those shiny loafers. He's about 13 inches tall and the exploding briefcase that comes with him is HUGE. Sure he's a loose figure but he is nearly complete. He even has his original socks for Christ's sake! In this condition and price I can do without the 'mint in box' condition. Who knew I would evolve in my collecting habits?
 
 
Of all the figures I want in my collection it may sound strange to admit that the Oscar Goldman from the Six Million Dollar Man line is the most coveted. He was Steve Austin's and Jamie Summer's boss on the show. Wings reminded me that he played the same character on two networks when the Six Million Dollar Woman moved to NBC.

For a TV doll, this one really looked just like actor Richard Anderson which was a rare thing for the time. The coolest accessory included, of course, was the 'exploding briefcase'. Depending on how you opened it it would either show papers or a burned out case. This to me was beyond cool. And just look at that plaid jacket and turtleneck sweater - the height of 70s fashion in one figure! Since when do they make a figure of a hero's BOSS? He also came with one of the first blue tooth headsets as you can see here.



About once a month I bid on one of these on EBay but it always exceeds my limit or I get poached at the last minute. This is punishment for the time when I passed up an Oscar Goldman for only 40 dollars. I remember the box being a little beat up so I walked away from the comic/junk store and immediately regretting it.

 

13 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

Well congrads! Fantastic for you!

Dr. Theda said...

Good for you Sir Kal...

Jeremy [Retro] said...

THAT IS AWESOME... I am thrilled for you..really! I need to rebuilt my childhood.

Kal said...

I am well on my way.

Wings1295 said...

Awesome! So glad you finally got one. He is safe in the Cave now. My Steve Austin is waving "Hi Pal!" from the USA.

david_b said...

FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC.

Truely a day to rejoice and celebrate.

I'll have the serving wenches pop me open a couple tonight to toast your victory, sir.

A true heart-felt sentiment, the road has been long, but you kept your promise to yourself and that's worth all the trouble and patience.

Bravo sir.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Congrats, Cal. You must feel like you're finally in possession of the Holy Grail. Happy for you!

Unknown said...

Congrats! Any chance you'll pick up a replica box?

j-swin said...

bully for you, brother! it's a great feeling, isn't it?

Mike said...

So so happy for you. That is all kinds of awesome!

Mike D. said...

That is so awesome Kal. You Finally got your Goldman. When I was a kid I had Steve and Oscar. I also had Pulsar and Steve always kicked his ass. I always wanted Maskatron but never got one.
I wanted Bigfoot too...that never happened either. I love action figures and the large guys like these were my favorites.

Kal said...

Mine too. I might look into that repro box and I have to find the part of the briefcase that goes flying off when you open it the wrong way. I have been loving just looking at him all night.