Sunday, April 20, 2014

My Next Holy Grail Figure - Can You Guess Who He Is?

 





I had a great friend when I was a kid in Europe. His name was Michael Williams and he was Black. His older brother Rodney had his own radio station of modern pop music after school for all the hip kids. He was the coolest teenager I ever knew with his funky 70s cloths and amazing afro. He always called me Vanilla Cupcake. It was my first 'street name'.
 
Anyways he bought both me and Michael Muhammad Ali boxing action figures for one Christmas and would always tell us about how great a boxer Ali was. I actually stayed up late into the evening to watch the Thrilla in Manila in 1975 with my family and the Williams who lived across the hallway from us. Rodney got us pumped for the entire fight by filling our head with the stats and the situation both fighters were under. I remember it being one of those great nights as a kid. Cheering for Ali at 4 AM because you knew what the Rope-A-Dope technique was because you had been schooled before the fight was one of my all time favorite childhood memories.
 
I lost my Ali in the GREAT DISASTER so he is next on my Holy Grail list now that I have found my Oscar Goldman figure. I would even go for the 8 inch figure that Mego made of Ali at around the same time as this larger toy was created.
 

5 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

Glad you are getting your holy grails!

DrGoat said...

A worthy quest.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Surely on a quest for the Holy Grail, you must be SIR Vanilla Cupcake. It's, like, protocol. Good luck!

Kal said...

Vanilla Cupcake. I know I didn't like the sun and was as cute as a cupcake but who knew he noticed?

Mike D. said...

Mego made an Ali figure? Must research now. I had Ali and the Opponent.