Friday, June 13, 2014

Penny Dreadful - Episode 2

The relationship between Proteus and Victor is breaking my heart while being the most thrilling take on the monster/scientist relationship well, ever. I have always seen them as adversaries - never as friends. I know their relationship will end badly.



Dorian Grey is a nice addition. You always need a repugnant immortal sensualist in this kind of genre series. I like all the literary references and how the characters from Victorian fiction are integrated into the tale. I can't wait until they reveal his portrait. Just how bad it looks will give you some idea of the bad things that Dorian has been up too - the appetites that would kill an ordinary man.



And then comes Billie Piper as a prostitute with both a heart of gold and consumption. I think I will love this creation as I have loved all her other characters.


The spirit séance was a hoot. It was a very popular scam at the time that Harry Houdini spent his lifetime debunking - even after his death. You never think that maybe one or two of those spirits were totally legit. Again, another interesting choice to take the story. Eva Green chews all the furniture in the room and again, thrilling and heartbreaking to watch all at the same time. Everyone's pain runs deep in this show.

 

No comments: