Saturday, January 17, 2015

And You Wonder Why I Fear The Seas

 

A member of the Stomiidae family, the black dragonfish is a deep-sea species occurring throughout the southern hemisphere at depths of around 2,000 meters (7,000 ft). Like many deep-sea species, black dragonfish undertake vertical migrations, swimming toward the surface at night to feed before descending back into the depths during daylight hours.

They also show an extreme case of sexual dimorphism. The female black dragonfish can reach 40 centimeters (16 in) in length. Along with many other mesopelagic predators, it can produce its own light via photophores situated along its body, under its eyes, and on the tips of its chin barbell. These can act as a lure to entice smaller prey, which are devoured using its huge barbed fangs, or to confuse its own predators. The males, on the other hand, are brown rather than black and barely reach 5 centimeters (2 in). They also lack teeth, chin barbells, and any sort of functioning gut, much like the male deep-sea anglerfish.

5 comments:

j-swin said...

I went fishing off the coast here in Florida once and pulled out half a fish that was as big around as my leg, it was cut clean in two. The charter captain said a barracuda got ahold of it, from that day on, I won't go in any deeper than my waist. The ocean is scary as shit!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

SCARIER than shit. I hate the ocean. I have this rule that I yell out to all creatures within the sound of my voice. When I go into the water, if ONE of you fucks even brushes up against my leg, I will FREAK OUT on all of you. 7/10ths of the earth is water and you have to touch my personal space? Fuck that and fuck you and all your tentacle buddies.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I got issues with the sea.

j-swin said...

Power!

Dr. Theda said...

"cute" little critter ain't she....