Saturday, January 23, 2016

Of All The Things You Hillbillies Should Be FIXING, Cosplay Is Not One Of Them

I cry what I always cry when I see people trying to take money out of pockets of amateur artists like myself or hard working cosplay artists and designers. I view everything I use to make my captions or my blog to be made under the rule of FAIR USE. It's why I show movie trailers to enhance my movie review posts. I think that the advertising I give that clip or picture or piece of art promotes all the artists involved and I do source everything I can possible source.

If they made cosplay illegal by strictly enforcing copyright laws, how much money will be saved by these big corporations? Do the cosplayers destroy or enhance the brand that they are cosplaying? I say they make the brand even better.

Plus how will this affect the Billion dollar Halloween industry? Will the cops be out ticketing those who look too much like Kylo Ren or Harley Quinn this Halloween?

In a new Court case involving Copyright laws, a US Court is planning to rule on whether or not 'YOU' the cosplayer are violating Copyright laws by making and wearing Copyrighted characters.

 

5 comments:

Barbecue17 said...

Do you have a source for this?

This would be disastrous for conventions, cosplayers, and yes, even Halloween.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have been reading it all over the cosplay sights lately.

Chase March said...

That is just plain ridiculous!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I would assume that the people the big corporations are really interested in stopping are the cosplayers who make (significant) money off their cosplay (are there such people?) or costume manufacturers who make money from sales. To go after those who make no money off their brands but just cosplay for fun makes no sense because it just creates ill will and could end up hurting their brands.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

and the Chinese will just fill the market with cheap knockoffs unless Corporations stop trying to squeeze every last penny from their properties. There IS such a thing as fair use. And those who do make a profit from this kind of art pay the taxes required but to reach into their pocket for a second time for the relative few pennies the Disney Mouse will receive seems not worth the time. Cosplay is popular. It gets attention. Smart entertainment companies would do well to employ these people who have SKILLS to bring cartoon characters to LIFE and THAT is what people want to to see, to be a part of - the WONDER of meeting your childhood hero no matter who that character may be.