Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Expanse



As I watch the end of season ONE of The Expanse I am left with two thoughts. One - I got sucked into watching something that had a start but no end or no answers. It was like Under The Dome all over again and we all know how much I HATE that I watched even one season of that garbage. I want my TV seasons to have a beginning, middle and an end. Secondly, I wish they would have told their story in half the number of episodes that they did (10). That would have tightened things up considerably.




Even with those complaints I think I kinda liked The Expanse. I like how things ended up for the characters I started to care about. Sure I wanted everything handed to me on a plate but things are never that neat, especially in this story of the grim and gritty life in space. Nothing here is pretty. Space is a violent place. The technology feels real. The situations feel real, the politics between Earth, Mars and the Belters feels real. There is some fascinating speculative fiction going on here.

I enjoyed the actors, many who I have never seen in anything else before. There are a lot of people and situations and ships and space stations to keep straight in your head and I think this show works best as a binge where you don't forget things from episode to episode. It took me awhile to get into it but I really enjoyed the last three hours when everything came together and I watched them all one afternoon.

I might just have to check out Season Two which is scheduled for 2017. Just to see if they can grab me from the start this time.

 

No comments: