Friday, July 15, 2016

Deeply Disappointed In Streaming Service Selection

I spent some time today researching Crave TV, Netflix and Shomi. These are all movie and TV streaming services that are specifically geared to Canada and ones I was thinking about subscribing too. Canadian means that we don't get everything the US gets and vice versa. Once again we are treated like a third world nation. I think the yanks would like a lot of our programming and CRAVE has a whole section of Canadian shows I would recommend to my American friends. Amazing Race Canada is in it's forth season but all previous seasons are worth you time if you like the American version. But one of these shows will ever be on Netflix US.

The only thing I could take from this selection on Crave was that it was a rewatch service. I had seen probably 80% of all the content they offered. Plus some shows like Deadliest Catch are not complete seasons so what is the point? Where are all the seasons of COPS so I could rewatch all of those from the beginning? The selection of shark shows IS impressive but pitiful for fishing shows. Where is Wicked Tuna? Fishing For Swords? or Lobster Wars?

I suppose they do have all the seasons of every Star Trek show so I should be happy but I have seen each episode of all seasons at least twice in my life. Where are the classic cartoons. Stuff from Hanna Barbara's vast catalogue would have been nice to see. But now I am programing the kind of service specifically tailored to just me. I practically have it like this now so why do I even need them?

 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My Rare One has Netflix. She watches it much more than I do. I only watch an occasional movie on it. But over the years we've seen some great stuff on Netflix not otherwise available on our cable, like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, The Big C, etc. My Rare One just finished bingeing on Breaking Bad.

I'm paying an absolute goddamn arm and a leg for my cable subscription but I like to watch certain things you just can't get on those streaming services, so Shaw, you still got me, you fuckers.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I am happy to have the Satellite also even though I have access to everything almost on demand.