Saturday, September 24, 2016

MacGyver 2016

There is a reason why the original MacGyver is so goofed on in pop culture - we ALL watched it because it was fun to see how Mac would save the day with just bubble gum and paper clips every week. That is the kind of fun I was hoping from this one and I got it. I feel in love with all the characters from just the pilot and that is a very good sign. I need a fun Friday night show and this is the perfect companion to Hell's Kitchen.

The new kid Angus MacGyver (Lucas Till) is very appealing in a surfer dude kind of way. He, however is also the smartest kid in the room and has a great team behind him. As the lead he has charm and that is the key to making this concept work. I like the narration they use to bring us up to speed on the mission right from the start. Throws you right into the action in a fresh way.

I loved the way they showed you HOW he did his tricks like getting a fingerprint off of wine glass were done. Simple tricks but essential to the storytelling. When I was a kid I would eat up all this knowledge with a spoon. Hell I still love learning this spy stuff to this day. Of course this knowledge is only useful on TV where the success of each technique is foolproof.


Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like the TV ad where's he all tied up and then he grins and there's a paper clip in his mouth.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I liked the pilot. I hope it stays fun.