Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Time Of Krampus Has Arrived

This is the version of Krampus that I knew as a kid. He was a black creature who carried a basket and a bundle of sticks to beat the assess of the bad kids and carry off the most bratty ones off to do god knows what to them. No one ever came back the same. Nothing like this in Canadian culture but when we lived in Southern German I knew many German kids who were scared shitless of him at this time of year. I asked my Dad if Krampus was real and he told me that Krampus was only real if I believed he was real. I was a kid who didn't take things on faith. I needed to SEE the proof to believe something happened or that something existed. That gave me all the protection I needed. I don't believe in a Christmas Demon lest he can prove to me he actually IS a real Christmas Demon and not some neighborhood freak.
 
We called this guy Black Peter around the playground.
We lived in Southern Germany so this was our version.
Each part of central Europe does Krampus a different way.

 
I look forward to doing more posts on Krampus.
He is all that fills my ice cold holiday heart.
 

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ha ha, that's a great Krampus meme!