Friday, January 3, 2020

Best Of 2019 In Entertainment


I was glad to see James Gunn finally had the time to produce this project, written by his two brothers. It's not for the squeamish but it's a fantastic dark Superman origin story.




From the same country that made Train To Busain comes a historical Korean zombie thriller with connections to the royal court. Another fantastic showt that had me rivetted the whole time.

https://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com/2019/02/kingdom-season-one.html



This was a James Cameron property that would have sat on the shelf  FOREVER if Robert Rodriquez hadn't come along and made it. It's some of the best anime storytelling I have ever seen and the decision to make Alita a motion capture character is genius. You can't take your eyes off her. The blend of motion capture and CGI is seamless and thrilling to watch.

https://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com/2019/02/alita-battle-angel.html



I love the comic books and thought there was no way the series could live up to the printed genius but it did and then some. I loved everything about this adaptation, even the changes which in my opinion made the story even stronger. Read the comics, There are only 18 of them. Trust me, you will appreciate the series so much more if you go in with some familiarity with the world of the Umbrella Academy.



This year I finally got around to watching all three of the John Wick movies in a week and I think that is the only way to really get into John Wick. Everything is seamless and if feels like one very back weekend in the life of the greatest assassin of all time.


  










My buddy Nick Ward created and wrote this six episode series for New Zealand television. I was thrilled to find that it was one of the freshest and funniest fables I had seen in a good long time. You will fall in love with all the characters, the good and the bad and MY buddy created it. I am very proud to gush about this project because it lives up to the hype - which was stratospheric in my mind.


https://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com/2019/06/fresh-eggs-cave-of-cool-hall-of-cool.html

https://caveofcool.podbean.com/e/this-week-from-the-cave-of-cool-episode-16/



Show of the year. In a year of great series, the Mandalorian stands alone at the top. For a long time fan of Star War Universe like me, this recreated that same feeling of wonder and joy that I felt back in 1977. I loved that I had to wait a week for the next chapter in the 8 episode season. I had a week to worry about the two main characters because everyone in the Galaxy wants to kill them. Baby Yoda is a revelation. Never has such a character captured the love of the World as quickly as Baby Yoda did. So much great here that it would take a month to explain it properly to you.






When the writer that screwed me with LOST can return and totally dazzle my brain with Watchmen, then I have to stop hating him. I hope this single season is all we ever see again from the Watchmen Universe on HBO. I don't want six seasons of diminishing returns (like a certain Game of Thrones) because this one season was perfect. The Internet will forever be analyzing the meaning of every moment of the story. Another show where knowing the source material puts you ahead of the game. In fact without knowing the Graphic Novel or seeing the movie, you will be lost with TV's Watchmen.



The Boys is also based on a series of comic books that maybe you shouldn't read. The books really push the excesses of immoral superheroes. Homelander eats babies but that is stuff that the TV series wisely avoids. The story is very gory and visceral but in the best way. It's actually toned down from the source material. Karl Urban can do no wrong and he is great here. Every decision has consequences for human and hero alike. I care about the characters and the villain does seem unbeatable and that makes this must-see TV. Looking forward to Season 2.






 


 
  


2 comments:

Nick Ward said...

Oh shucks. This is a fine collection and I’m proud to be part of it. Respect my friend.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thank you for letting me share in your success which is well earned.