Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cal's Box Art - Batman 1






I mentioned before that I am someone who enjoys the process of design. The art you see with products have to catch the eye of the consumer if they are going to compete with all that is available out there. I am especially a fan of the box art you find with toys. So many pretty colors. Before I ever opened a toy I got as a kid (or an adult for that matter) I would study the box that it came in. I was not one of those kids who threw the box out and just stored all my toys in a plastic bin. Everything had to go back into the original box until I was ready to play with that toy again. I then would stack these boxes on the shelves in my closet so that when I wanted to everything I needed was right there. I think by using the shelves I was mimicking the toy store and preserving that feeling I always get walking through the toy aisles. I still display my toys like that as many of you have seen. I chose to spotlight Batman toys in this first installment of 'Cal's Box Art'. since like Superman and Spiderman, Batman has his face on many many licenced products.

3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Most of my stuff is out of the box, but I do save some of them. I just wish some of the packaging was as interesting as it used to be!

Doc Atomic said...

I'm generally a "take it out of the box" kind of guy, but that's an easy attitude to take when most of the toys I collect don't even have boxes anymore.

However, your reasoning behind leaving toys in boxes really resonates. For many of us toy collectors -- at least, many that I've spoken to -- the idea of building up a collection is to mimic the feeling of walking into the world's most perfect toy store. And displaying the toys in their boxes goes a long way towards capturing that magic. There's just something really impressive about seeing a display of boxed toys...

BTW, I really love the box art for the Batman model. There's also something neat about the Batcave box art -- dopey kid and all.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Both of you made excellent points. At first I opened the package and kept the backing cards so I could see that I might have wanted from that particular line. But when the collection got bigger and I started to hang them on the basement walls rather then having to fix the crappy panelling I just liked seeing the toys right in front of me everytime I was downstairs.